I still find it hard to believe that I spent 3 weeks in India and Nepal just around this time (Feb/ Mar 2013) last year. India is listed as one of Lonely Planet’s Value Destinations for 2014, and India still has lots to offer the budget traveller. Specifically as a winter destination, the southern part of India has serene beaches, fishing harbours and peaceful resorts, plus inland temple towns such as Hampi, one of South India’s most laid-back traveller hangouts. Best of all, lodgings are cheap and most temples and ruins are free. However, travelling along is not for the faint of heart. Women travellers are particularly at risk when travelling alone, and for that reason I would highly recommend small group travel. You will still experience the culture, the history, the wonderful food and most of all the colour, but feel safer while doing so.
Exodus offers a large number of trips exploring southern India, and all are reasonably priced. Here are just a few:
- The Tropical South from $1400 for 14 days
- Kerala and Tropical India a premium cycling adventure from $2275 for 14 days
- South India Explored from $2100 for 20 days
- Classic South India a premium adventure from $2450 for 14 days
Click on this link for a full selection of Exodus’ small group tours of India.
On the other hand, if you are looking for something a little more adventurous, Intrepid also offers some wonderful trips exploring India at various price points. All will appeal to those with an engrained sense of adventure, or for those wishing to truly step outside your comfort zone! Featuring small tour groups of only 12 people max, these trips truly give you a taste of India. Here are some wonderful South India adventures:
- Classic South India a Comfort adventure from $1729 for 15 days
- South India Unplugged a Basix adventure from $716 for 16 days
- Southern India Family Holiday an Original adventure from $1008 for 14 days
- Southern India an Original adventure from $1054 for 15 days
Finally, for truly comfort adventures, Peregrine offers a number of adventures during the day but with comfort at night! Click here to see their full range of adventures in India. They offer just one adventure exploring South India: Essence of South India an adventure from $1729 for 15 days.
For information on these trips, or any others please do not hesitate to contact me. I have wonderfully colourful memories of India, and would definitely return!