I mentioned in an earlier post about cycling the Loire Valley, and know some of my readers would be interested in this. What could be more relaxing than a week of self-guided cycling amidst the beautiful scenery, chateaux and vineyards of the Loire Valley?
This is a beautiful area of France with tree covered roads and wonderful villages. Offered by Exodus Travel from just $1885 and flights, this trip would be a great match to a few days in Paris in the spring (or the fall or anytime!). Contact me for more information.
There are also many other cycling destinations available if you are interested!
The Loire valley is an ideal place to enjoy a gentle self-guided cycling holiday. Extraordinarily ornate chateaux dot the countryside and provide regular interludes to the cycling. Riding distances are kept short so you can take as much time as you like exploring each one, taking you back to a time of kings and noblemen. The picturesque countryside offers the perfect setting for idyllic picnics adding to the relaxed freedom of this trip. Each evening we stay in friendly, family run hotels and you can round off your day with some of the best food and wine France has to offer. Please note there is also a weekend version of this trip also available.
- Day 1 Start Chisseaux.
- Day 2 Visit Chateau de Nitray en route to Amboise, passing through many pretty villages. Head west along the Cher valley through the delightful riverside towns of Bléré and Athée-sur-Cher. Take the time to visit the 16th Century Château de Nitray with its beautiful gardens and wine-tasting opportunities before heading on to the lively town of Amboise.
- Day 3 Free day to explore Amboise.Today is free to enjoy all that Amboise has to offer. Visit the château and Leonardo da Vinci’s final residence, Le Clos Lucé.
- Day 4 Relaxed ride to Chaumont through picturesque countryside. The route starts following the Cisse and continues on to the château at Monteaux before arriving in Chaumont with time to explore the château and its gardens.
- Day 5 Visit Chaumont Chateau this morning if you didn’t go yesterday; cycle on to Cour Cheverny.Your route takes you through the pretty village of Les Montils before heading to the Château de Beauregard. You then follow a loop around Cour-Cheverny to take in the Château de Cheverny and Château de Troussay.
- Day 6 Free day in Cour Cheverny. Option to ride to Chateau de Chambord. Cycle through the Fôret de Boulogne to visit the 16th Century Château de Chambord – famous for its extraordinary collection of turrets and its double spiral staircase.
- Day 7 Complete this circular itinerary back to Chisseaux, visiting the fairytale Chateau de Chenonceaux on the way back. Head south back to the river Cher through vineyards and sunflower fields. Head through Thenay and Montrichard before arriving at the spectacular Château de Chenonceaux – the most romantic and beautiful of all the Renaissance châteaux. Then back to your hotel in Chisseaux.
- Day 8 End Chisseaux.
Mode of travel: Average daily distance: 30-40 km (19-25 miles) depending on routes chosen.
No of days cycling: 6 (including 2 optional rides).
Vehicle support: None whilst riding, luggage is transferred between hotels for you. Terrain and route: The suggested cycling mainly follows quiet tarmac roads past villages, farms, vineyards, woodland and alongside rivers. There are no significant ascents or descents. Alternative routes are available on most days.
Group size: Self guided. Route notes and maps are provided.
Accommodation: You will spend 7 nights in 2 and 3 star hotels. These include a variety of charming traditional buildings, all with en suite facilities. A swimming pool is usually available in two of the hotels.
Food: All breakfasts and 3 dinners included.
Compulsory Single Supplement: Available.
Notes: Start most days of the week- could be a wonderful trip for a couple, a family, or a group of friends.
Local bike hire: Local bike hire (from GBP115, child bikes from GBP60 – paid on booking).