Winter- that dreaded Canadian winter……and they say that this winter could be colder than normal……so what do we hardy Canadians do? Well some of us embrace it, and some of us don’t. For those that don’t, many look to head to the Caribbean, Florida or Mexico.
But there are alternatives to resort vacations- and that is exploring some of the countries in both Central and South America…..for the next few posts, I am going to explore those alternatives to resort vacations.
How about heading to Ecuador? Yes- there are the wonderful Galapagos Islands- but if you want to head off the beaten path, check out this trip from Trafalgar- one of their Hidden Journey trips- Secrets of Ecuador . This trip, although only offered a couple of times a year, allows you to explore Ecuador’s colours and contrasts, Otavalos outdoor market, Cotopaxi National Park, Devil’s Nose Train and UNESCO World Heritage sites like Cuenca. You’ll enjoy Insider moments like…3,000 roses filling the Jarrin family’s hacienda, as you join them for local treats like ‘llapingachos’, cheesy potato cakes, after exploring their rose plantation. It’s staying at a restored 17th century hacienda once owned by King Phillip III of Spain.
Priced from $2995 plus your flights there and back, this is a fabulous deal. If you have time, combine it with either a Galapagos Island trip or an Amazonian lodge stay.
Sandwiched between Peru and Columbia, Ecuador can sometimes be an after thought on the South America travel agenda. This 9 day trip will allow you to explore off the beaten track in comfort and style……if you are interested, contact me for more information.
- City tour in Quito and Cuenca
- Visit Otavalo’s outdoor market, Equatorial Line Monument, Riobamba and artisan villages near Cuenca
- View the Cotopaxi Volcano
- Scenic drives along the “Avenue of the Volcanoes” and El Cajas National Park
- Iconic Train Journey aboard the Devil’s Nose Train
- 8 full breakfasts
- 6 lunches (including Be My Guest).
- 4 dinners.
- Luxury air-conditioned coach with WiFi in most countries or alternative transportation (such as rail journeys)
- Hand-picked 4 and 5 star accommodation
- Hand-picked Insider Experiences
- Optional Experiences and free time
- All porterage and restaurant gratuities
- Must-see sightseeing and surprise extras
- An expert Travel Director and separate Driver
- All hotel tips, charges and local taxes
- Airport transfers on the first and last day of your guided holiday
- VIP entry to many sights
- Audio Headsets for flexible sightseeing
- 9 nights First Class accommodation