If you are a hiker, why not consider heading to Europe on a walking vacation?
Exodus is just one company that offers many hiking and walking vacations in Europe; some of the most appealing of these can be found in Italy. While in Italy, consider combining a walking vacation with a cultural holiday, for instance, Florence is not far away.
Here is a great example of a fabulous walking vacation in Italy. Lots of options however if you are interested. And if you would like to add on a visit to a couple of Italy’s cities as well, please be sure to contact me.
Chianti: Walking and Wine invites you to experience beautiful San Gimignano, Siena and Italy’s most famous wine. When looking to know more of European art and society, there is no better place to start than Tuscany, thanks to its fine Renaissance cities, beautiful rolling countryside and outstanding Chianti wine. The landscape of southern Tuscany fulfils all expectations, with mediaeval hilltop villages and cypress-lined avenues snaking through vineyards.
Converted to a high standard, this old farmhouse is a relaxing retreat in the heart of Tuscany. Set in a rural location, Villa Casalta prides itself on the fine home-made food prepared with traditional ingredients and locally produced wines and olive oil. Back in the 19th Century, this beautiful farmhouse used to be the residence of a noble family of Siena. Now it belongs to Delia and her daughter Roberta, who have provided outstanding country hospitality for over 20 years.
All twin and single rooms are en suite and there is an outdoor panoramic pool available for guests (open when the weather is warm enough – usually mid May to end of September).
- Day 1 Start Villa Casalta.
- Day 2 Visit the mediaeval market town of Greve in Chianti and the hilltop village of Montefioralle; afternoon wine tasting at Villa Casalta.
- Day 3 Travel to Siena and explore the stunning historic centre; learn about Tuscan and Italian wines at the Wine School.
- Day 4 Circular walk from our lodge to the tiny village of Fonterutoli and back to Castellina.
- Day 5 Free day.
- Day 6 Discover the magnificent city of Florence, considered the birthplace of the Renaissance.
- Day 7 Walk to picturesque San Gimignano with free time to explore Palazzo Comunale, Pinacoteca and Torre Grossa. Wine Tasting.
- Day 8 End Villa Casalta.
Mode of travel: 5 days centre-based walking; low altitude throughout.
Group size: Normally 6 to 16 plus leader and local staff.
Accommodation: 7 nights renovated farmhouse with swimming pool.
Food: All breakfasts, 5 dinners and 3 wine tastings included.